Monday, April 03, 2006

Talking with your teen (or preteen)

I consider myself a decent parent. We try and do everything we can for our kids. Things like taking Patrick to his theatre rehearsal four nights a week from 6:30 to 9:30. It is a community theatre play, not a school play, thus the long rehearsal hours. Also, we try and talk with him about his school days. What happens? How is it? What homework do you have? You can guess the pat answers that are returned.

Oh, he tells us quite a bit. We know a lot about his current girlfriend and his old girlfriend. We just have to wait until he is ready to talk about it. The trick is getting him to talk about it with out asking any direct questions. There is an art to getting info out of your kids and if it isn't really important to them, you are not going to get it at all.

Last night Kirsten and I were helping him get his backpack already to go back to school, now that spring break is over. Anyway, I go through some papers and find several things that he was supposed to give us but didn't. For instance, last night we learned that he needs 1/2 yard of material for a home economics class, by today. The paper had been stuffed down in his backpack for about three weeks. I guess I need to snoop through his stuff a little bit more.

Of course, he made sure to give us the note about his upcoming sex ed class on the day he got it. I guess we know where his priorities lie. Should I be worried?

No comments: