Friday, May 26, 2006

How to get a treat

Yesterday, Patrick missed the bus home from school. He needed to try and get some information from one of his teachers after school and it took longer than he thought it would.

So he went to the school office to call me, only to discover that it was closed. At that point he panicked a little. He thought about just staying there and waiting until we noticed that he wasn't home ( an extremely bad choice ). He also thought about trying to walk home ( an even worse choice ).

Finally, he found a teacher that got him into the office and called for him. At this point he was on the very edge of tears. I told him to calm down, everything was fine and that someone would be by to pick him up soon.

Then I called my parents. They happened to be downtown and on their way home, so the easily swung by to pick him up. Then, to cheer him up, they swung by the ice cream shop and bought him a treat.

I explained to him that you don't generally get treats for making mistakes, but that I was very pleased that he had made the correct decision to solve the problem.

No comments: